Tuesday, 23 February 2016

Nerdversity Reviews: G.I. Joe Action Pilot (Red)


No, your eyes aren't deceiving you. This is the retail version of the Action Pilot figure, wearing a red uniform. Now, the odd thing is, despite the Pilot wearing a red flight suit, the picture on the front of the box sees our titular Joe Pilot wearing a blue flight suit heading towards his 1950s jet. It's still the same 1960s artwork as the original figure, with the 30th Anniversary G.I. Joe logo down the side.


The back of the box shows all 4 figures in the retail line which represent all 4 branches of the US Military. The rest of the box has the instructions for the harness and parachute pack. A 30th anniversary blurb by Alan Hassenfield and then the filecard.


The filecard is the retail version as it has the 1960s artwork on it and the red background behind the text and it reads

"When I finally flew my first solo flight at the age of 15, I knew instantly that I wanted to be an Air Force pilot. I never guessed I would be fortunate enough to be recruited for the G.I. Joe team. True, I had become one of the most decorated Air Force pilots to ever hit the sky, but to join up with fellow fighters like the Joes was the greatest honor I could ever possibly receive. Every time I step into the cockpit and fire up those sweet sounding jet engines, I take pride in knowing I'm an essential part of the most elite fighting force ever assembled!"


Taking the figure out of the box, we see it's the exact same figure as the Blue version just in a bright orange flight suit and red Mae West Air Vest. 


Doing some research, I found that the orange suit is most likely to be this. A captain's flight suit from the late 50s to early 60s, seen in the early days of Vietnam, between 59 and 61. 


There's no real variation in the weapons colours. It's the exact same helmet, olive green M1 Garand, Colt .45 and parachute backpack as the blue version.


Comparing the figures side by side, we see that they are pretty much identical to each other, even the face sculpt is practically spot on to the original 1960s sculpt, even down to the unpainted scar on his cheek, which all GI Joe figures had as their trademark. 

The figure is an interesting one. If you want a figure of the characters your parents had, then this is it. It's 4 inch scale and fits on any shelf and has pretty cool accessories and a real working parachute. However, I don't feel mainstream G.I. Joe collectors could put this in their collection alongside their other Air Force Joes and have it fit in. As it's retail, the GI Joe Pilot (Orange) sells for around £15 boxed on the secondary market.